Laureate Study Abroad Scholarship Competition
ASID and Laureate International Universities have developed a special relationship to offer ASID student members an exclusive opportunity to participate in summer design programs here and abroad. The competition will award four ASID students full-tuition scholarships to a 2014 summer design program!
WHO: ASID student members only
WHAT: Summer design programs in Milan, Italy, and San Diego, Calif.
- Submissions due: Midnight EST on Monday, March 3, 2014
- Winners announced: Monday, March 17, 2014
HOW: Complete the entry form and submit supporting documents
Please review the competition brief and entry guidelines to fully understand each applicant’s responsibilities.
Design a concept for a new type of café that offers a reading experience integrated with the services of a café. The space should celebrate magazines in all forms — print and digital versions. The Magazine Café can be divided into different spaces, such as small, intimate spots to encourage quiet reading as well as open spaces for multipurpose uses, conversations and events. In addition to being a retail store for magazines, the Magazine Café should be designed to be a meeting spot for anyone interested in reading about and discussing current events and trends.
When conceiving your design, consider the following key questions: How has the reading experience evolved? How is the act of reading connected to our physical world (e.g., sitting in an armchair, reading an e-book, lying down, flicking through magazine pages, drinking coffee)? Which of these conditions should be accommodated in a café? How does creating a reading experience in a shop affect our desire to read somewhere else and how is it connected to digital and mobile devices?
Scholarship Entry Guidelines
- Complete the entry form — there is no entry fee required for this competition.
Post your design solution on one 11 x 17-inch board (PDF format, one board per entry), including:
- Floor plan (to scale)
- Other drawings or diagrams to convey design intent (reflected ceiling plan, vignettes, etc.)
- Rendering (computer generated or hand drawn)
- Write a 300-word concept statement to explain your design and how it ties to the theme.
- Submit your entry form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Four Scholarships Awarded
All winners will are responsible for paying transportation, room, board and personal expenses as this is a "tuition only" award.
- Two full-tuition scholarships to any Nuova Accademia Di Belle Arti (NABA) summer programs in Milan
- Two full-tuition scholarships to the Summer Exploratory Program at NewSchool of Architecture + Design in San Diego, Calif.