Chapter Community Service Award
The ASID Chapter Community Service Award is bestowed by the Society upon an ASID professional chapter whose community service during the previous ASID program year best exemplifies, in the estimation of the judges, the spirit of bringing design to life in the service of others.
Chapter activities eligible for this award include, but are not limited to, pro bono design services provided to support or augment the following:
- Public or nonprofit building projects that assist persons in need, such as Habitat for Humanity or Rebuild Together
- Community shelters or centers to assist persons in need, such as the homeless, abused women and children, persons with disabilities or persons with AIDS
- Public or nonprofit healthcare, rehabilitation, respite or hospice facilities, including Ronald McDonald House and similar facilities
- Public or nonprofit day care or educational facilities
- Demonstration projects or "show houses" that illustrate the benefits of universal design or sustainable design.
Activities or projects must have been conducted or completed within the ASID fiscal year (from October 1 to September 30) prior to the nomination deadline date. Each chapter may submit one nomination for this award. The nomination is for the chapter's community service, not for service rendered by an individual member of the chapter.
Fundraising activities (including design show houses), activities to support response to natural disasters and other community service activities that do not involve providing interior design services are not eligible for this award.
Nominations should be submitted by the chapter president or his/her designee. Only one submission per chapter will be provided to the judges. Each submission should include the following:
- Completed submission form
- Brief description (no more than 300 words) of the project and the chapter's role in the project
- Documentation of the positive impact of the project on the occupants and/or the community, such as testimonials, letters of commendation, awards or certificates, media coverage, etc. (photocopies of these documents are recommended, as materials will not be returned)
- Photographs (optional) in either print or electronic format of the project (Indicate if ASID has permission to reprint photos in ASID ICON and the ASID website and include photo credit information.)
Electronic Submissions Preferred
ASID encourages chapters to help us reduce our carbon footprint by reducing or eliminating hard copy submissions for the Chapter Community Service Award.
The most effective and sustainable method for submitting your Chapter Community Service project is to completely eliminate the hard copy submission.
Gathering information, scanning items, uploading digital photographs to a PowerPoint Presentation, a continuous word document or a CD will save on the costs of assembly and mailing and will also eliminate the waste produced by creating a hard copy binder. If your chapter must create a hard copy for submission, at least skip the plastic page sleeves and attempt to use recycled/recyclable materials.
All submissions must be postmarked by January 4, 2013.
ASID Chapter Community Service Award
Attn: Chapter Services
608 Massachusetts Ave. NE
Washington, DC 20002
To verify receipt of materials, contact the ASID Chapter Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 business days after mailing.
Members of the ASID Chapter Support Team will select one winning entry from among those submitted by the chapters. The judges may choose not to select a winning entry in any given year if, in their estimation, no entry meets the requirements and spirit of the award. All nominees will be recognized in ASID ICON magazine and the winning chapter will receive an engraved crystal award.